Friday, July 30, 2010

Investing in Robert Pattinson (Guest Post by MissAmyJoon)

A few months ago I discovered a movie called Bright Star – a movie about the romance between poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne. I loved it. I even bought the companion book of letters and poems. I don’t even like poetry that much, but there’s something so seductive about British historical dramas with their proper speech, bosomy dresses, formal dances, and massive marriage anxiety. Shortly after I watched the film ,I began to Google the young actor who played Keats: Ben Whishaw.







From my limited research, I found the above video. I kind of adore his accent. Especially the way he says beautiful. I don't know why, but he sounds much more Britishy than Rob, and I like it. Amidst this search, I felt a case of déjà vu. Just over a year prior I was feverishly Googling a certain Robert Pattinson. Now I was researching yet another British actor, similarly thin, lanky, and with fabulously untamed hair.






Could this be my new Edward?


Say what!?


Of course this called for serious introspection on my part. What is my identity without Robert Pattinson? I spend a great deal of my time doing Rob-related things. Essentially, he’s my hobby. I don’t speak about him to others very often, but like the Holy Spirit and the perfume department at Macy’s, his influence can be felt everywhere I go. I’m often disturbed by this fact, but it’s a truth I can’t escape.

Some other random British actor can’t recreate the nonexistent relationship I’ve shared with Rob, can he? Could I start all over again?

For the time being, the answer is no. I can’t. I’m invested in Robert Pattinson. I never had a savings bond, but I bought imaginary shares of stock in high school economics, so lets go with that analogy. Hollywood often functions just the same as the stock market. Fans buy into an intangible piece of a celebrity’s identity, whose image has been framed and presented in a very specific fashion. But one of the most important parts of buying stock is longevity. At the end of the day, you really have to believe in the product and the company.*

Suffice it to say, I believe Robert Pattinson is a quality person and actor. Of course I’m smitten with his charm, humor, personality, and titillating photos. Still, I honestly don’t think I would care much for him if I didn’t think he had talent. There's an ebb and flow to these things, just as there are spikes and falls in the market, but I’m sticking with him. With stocks, you hope for a profitable return, but all I ask for are good movies, great interviews, and maybe an Oscar just to make the infatuation more publicly acceptable.

I keep thinking back to the little jolt I felt watching Twilight for the first time. I didn’t get that from watching Ben Whishaw in Bright Star. He too seems to be a talented young British actor, but I was curious about him. Even if we compared Rob to countless other worthy actors or heartthrobs by their performances, it wouldn’t matter**. Robert Pattinson has that inexplicable je ne sais quoi. That’s where I’m puttin’ my money!





And all was right in the world.


*If this whole paragraph doesn’t make any sense, it’s probably because economics was my worst subject EVER in the history of my academic career.

** Plus, in all honesty, none of them are nearly as good looking, and if I'm going to have an imaginary relationship with someone, it best be Robert motherf*cking Pattinson, ya know what I'm saying? Also, I found that there has been a lot of speculation about Ben Whishaw's sexual orientation. It doesn't bother me, but dampens his potential in my day dreams.


Thanks for the opportunity to blog Lisa!

Amy

13 comments:

17foreverlisa said...

Great job, Amy!! But I'm not surprised. You are wise beyond your years. I especially loved this line:

...but like the Holy Spirit and the perfume department at Macy’s, his influence can be felt everywhere I go. Amen!

The movie definitely sounds like something I'd like.

And, of course, you did Momma Lisa proud with your **...if I'm going to have an imaginary relationship with someone, it best be Robert motherf*cking Pattinson, ya know what I'm saying?

I know what you're saying!

XXXOOO

Momma Lisa

Anonymous said...

So true...I am totally invested and in no way can FATHOM starting over with another celebrity. I think we made perfect choices, because like you....I think he will be here for a very long time.

And...no one is as good looking. ;-)

Munkee said...

I LOVED THAT MOVIE!! It was so beautifully romantic in the most extreme sense of the word. After I watched it I Wikipediaed the hell out of everything related to Keats and the actors. Agreed--Ben is a super hottie. Also agreed--Rob is hotter. I can't say why, either. And I hate to say it but I think I am one of those American women whose pants fall for British accents. Actually anywhere in the commonwealth....Australia and Canada included. Pathetic.

Honolulu Girl-Suz said...

I must say, Rob will always be the perfect “obsession” for me, but I recently started watching the Tudors... and my god... Jonathan R Meyers and Henry Cavill are freaking smoking hot. They are a close second and third, to Rob.

Twired Jen said...

Beautiful post and so very true.xo

twilightcupcake said...

Hi Amy - yes I feel like I don't speak about Rob to many people in my real life. It is weird if people at the store talk to me about it when I buy something Twilight related. I just smile politely and nod. I act like I don't really care and have no opinion. Even if they say Taylor is hotter than Rob. But yes I have this inherent need to search out Twilight and Rob throughout everything I do. I have not found anyone else to replace this so far - except of course my husb and kids who are supposed to come first right? :)

Amy said...

Thanks for your comments ladies!

@Lisa - I'm very proud of those particular lines lol I hope people got the joke.

@MrsP - We definitely have great taste don't we? ;)

@Munkee - Isn't it amazing!? I need to buy the movie. I'm not sure Ben is a 'hottie' but he has that soft and sensitive artist look about him.

@HG - I totally get the appeal of JRM! I really liked him in Bend it like Beckham. I also saw him as Elvis in a TV movie years ago and more recently in Match Point. Great actor!

@Jen - Thanks Jen :)

@TC - I got embarrassed buying the Twilight Woods lotion at Bath and Body Works because I felt like everyone knew lol But we're all here to support each other, right? :)

sparkle for twilight said...

I'm so late to all of these parties, and I come onto Lisa's blog only to find Amy! What a pleasant surprise--Amy I tell you, your writing always gets me. Thoughtful, witty, and insightful! I totally agree, Rob has both talent and personality, and that is what makes it. There are a lot of pretty faces out there, but he has something ;)

(You know I just put Bright Star on my order... I am a sucker for historial love stories--reccs anytime please!--I caught some of Pride and Prejudice on tv last night.)

Lisa, I didn't know it was your birthday last Tuesday!!!! One of my best friend's birthday is the same day! I send you all of my best wishes, you are young, girl! I love all of your Twilight cards!

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping by SFT!

I was watching Pride and Prejudice on TV the other night too! I was mad because they totally cut out the last few minutes to roll the credits! Please tell me what you think of Bright Star after you see it! I hope you like it as much as I did. It's sad, but so lovely.

Cake That Nikki said...

I've never heard of him or the film.

I love Rob but I have to admit I have a thing for another Brit actor called Tom Hardy....google him *drool*
I'll have to check out the film :)

TongueTwied said...

"What is my identity without Robert Pattinson?"

LOL!! This is a question for the masses!

Love how you stopped to reasses your devotion to Rob and at the end of the day he still is your vested interest. Nothing wrong with that! Loved your economics analogy, too. ;)

Amy said...

@Mary - Tom Hardy was just in Inception right? I also saw him in Wuthering Heights as Heathcliffe. He's a good actor as well :)

@TT - Thanks! LOL It's completely normal to think about these deep life-altering questions ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sample text

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Ads 468x60px