Friday, November 20, 2009

New Moon Midnight Showings (SPOILER FREE)

It was epic! Chris Weitz did an amazing job. The tone; the colors; the special effects; and most importantly, the story that stayed true to Stephanie Meyer's original vision.

Taylor Lautner, paws down, was Jacob. You believed in him, cheered for him, cried for him, and many in the theater moaned for him. So proud of Taycob.

Kristen Stewart's performance delivered because she made me feel Bella's emotional journey. Gone was the overacting, excessive lip biting, and incomplete sentences. So proud of KStew.

Robert Pattinson has arrived. He has matured as an actor and is finally comfortable in Edward's sparkly skin. He plays the tortured "soul" to perfection. So proud of Robward.

Robsten lives! Rob and Kristen's onscreen chemistry gives you good, old-fashioned butterflies in the stomach. I don't know how many times I found myself wishing for a remote control so that I could rewind (kissing scenes – AMAZING!). This was my first ever midnight screening of a movie premiere. The DVD release of New Moon will undoubtedly be my first ever midnight purchase.

**Apology - After reading Mary's review over at The Cougar's Den, I realized that I left out an important shout out. When Chris, a friend and co-worker, met up with me for my second viewing of the movie, she asked me if I had cried.  My answer was yes, of course.  Then she asked me at what part.  I told her that what had really gotten to me were the scenes with Bella and Charlie (too many spoilers kept me from crying at other key moments; hope I have more willpower for Eclipse).  So as promised, Mama Cougar, I apologize to you and to Billy Burke (because I know he's going to be reading this!) for forgetting to mention his performance in the movie.  His comic timing is brilliant, the relationship between Charlie and Bella (and Billy and Kristen) is sincerely heartfelt, and he is damn fine to look at.  Forgiven?

My good friend, co-worker, and the one responsible for making me read the Twilight Saga in the first place, Karen, was with me every step of the way. We showed up at the theater a little before 8 pm and were about the 25th person in line. The chaos we expected as a result of seven midnight showings being sold out never really came to be. To accomodate so many fans, they opted to open the theaters at 9 pm. We were able to get great seats and be comfortable while we watched Twilight on my iPod, which quite a few other people were doing, too. Karen and I saved seats for the other three girls in our group, which included my daughter, her best friend (and my other daughter!), and another good friend. They joined us around 10:30 pm, which is when the theater started to fill up.

As it got closer to the movie's start time, the buzz began to build. I can't tell you how many times Karen asked me what time it was. LOL! When the lights dimmed and the screen went black, screams erupted. When Rob's trailer for Remember Me started playing, the screams got louder. When the moon came up on the screen, the place went nuts. It was such an emotional rush. And all of our concerns about not being able to hear the movie over the excited fans? Never happened. You could have heard a pin drop during most of the movie. I couldn't take my eyes off of the screen to confirm it, but I suspect that most people had a hand clapped over their mouth like me. I was never quite sure if I was going to gasp, scream, moan, sob . . . you get the picture ;)

I'll say it again. It was an EPIC experience. Karen and I are going to back-to-back showings later today and we couldn't be happier with our decision. It was just too much to take in. We need more. I, for one, could not take my eyes off of Rob whenever he was on the screen. Interestingly enough, I never lost myself completely in "Edward." I was always aware of Rob. I don't mean that to make less of his performance, it's just that I could not stop thinking about the man, the couple, and the Robsession.

Anxious to join more friends and family at this afternoon's showings and get their take on the movie and yours. Don't forget to post your comments below. I love reading them!

Round 1 (11/20 12:05 am)
It's time! It's time! It's time!


Karen, Pocket Edward, and Me waiting in line.
Played Twilight trivia with the girls in line ahead of us.


Pocket Edward monitoring the situation.


Pocket Edward entertaining the masses.
He was popular with the ladies.


Pocket Edward getting ready for the movie.
(Seat 17, of course!)


Danica, Joline, Pocket Edward, and Andrea


Theater filling up.


Pocket Edward filling up.


Homage to my Heroes


Round 2 (11/20 3:40 pm)
Chris, Karen, and Erin


Chris, Karen, and Erin


Round 3 (11/20 6:30 pm)
Karen, Kelly, Christy, and Ty


Round 4 (11/22 4:10 pm)
Ellery and Her Favorite Aunt
(Today at least!)


Round 5 (11/24 2:50 pm)
Kacey and Me
(Wearing my Cullen Baseball Sweatshirt)


Round 6 (11/29 2:50 pm)
Melissa and Me


Round 7 (12/13 1:20 pm)
Karen, Me, Pocket Edward, and Erin


Round 8 (1/13 3:35 pm)
Me & My Best Friend, Michelle


Round 9 (1/17 6:45 pm)
Nick & Me



To be continued . . .


15 comments:

Zanymouse said...

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Although, I watched NM through a guilt-induced haze, and I had to pee really really bad! I had gone Friday morning to buy tickets for Sundays show with a bunch of friends, and found myself buying four tickets for Sunday, and whoops, how did that get in there, one ticket for Friday 1130am. There was no time to eat anything before and I was starving, so I forked over $5.75 for the biggest damn diet Coke you ever saw. About halfway through, I was wishing I'd gotten the bucket of nice salty popcorn with fake butter, that would have made me feel like the Sahara Desert. I seriously considered running out to use the bathroom *gasp*, but managed to hang on till the end. So I'm rationalizing, that even though I cheated on my friends by seeing it first, I didn't really see it because of my physical condition. Okay, right? All right, all right, I'm a dirty Twilight whore with no willpower! I'm going to make it up to them by buying the first round of margaritas on Sunday, and then spill the beans. I hope they forgive me.

17foreverlisa said...

@Z Any Mouse - LOL! I was scared to death that would happen to me. That's why I shared with Pocket Edward ;) Actually, I'm pretty notorious to my friends and family for knowing the location of restrooms in every restaurant, store, etc., in our area. I swear I was in a trance watching New Moon because for the first time EVER, I didn't finish my popcorn or my Diet Coke. And that's saying a lot! I'm a movie popcorn freak. If I go out with friends and/or family before a movie, I'll visit and sip water, but I won't have anything to eat because I don't want to be too full for the popcorn.

I found myself still shaking, smiling, cat-calling, etc., the second and third time I saw the movie, so I don't think you'll have any trouble convincing your group that you haven't seen it before if you chicken out telling them. Enjoy the margaritas and keep me posted on how it went.

It's taking everything I have not to go and watch it again this afternoon!

Lisa

TwiloveSue said...

Your pictures are great! My pocket Edward tagged along to the midnight show with me, but he was kind of in a shy mood all night. Don't know what was up with that. Maybe he was trying to avoid all of those requests from people to bite them on the neck.

So far I've seen NM twice and it's taking all of my willpower not to sneak away to see it again before my next "scheduled" viewing Monday night. Was the movie fabulous, or what??!! I think it would almost even be worth the $11 just to see the Remember Me trailer on the big screen again... (sigh!). By the way, I gasped when I saw your countdown clock for Eclipse!

Zanymouse said...

@Twilove1 - I gasped too! It's the first Eclipse clock I've seen also. I am getting a little nervous because I haven't heard anything solid yet about Breaking Dawn. Have you guys? They need to sign something quick, before someone wins an Oscar and becomes too big to do something like a little Twilight Saga movie.

17foreverlisa said...

@Twilove1 - Sorry to hear your Pocket Edward was being shy. I thought mine would be, too, but he was like Edward walking with Bella in the school parking lot saying he was going to hell anyway, so why not enjoy it ;)

@Twilove 1 and Z Any Mouse - That's the same reaction I had when I saw this Eclipse countdown widget. Glad you like it! I am hoping someone comes up with one for Remember Me.

Speaking of which, how are we ever going to survive that movie?! The trailer is amazing, but do I think it would be worth the money to see it again on the big screen? You're talking to someone who spent money to watch the New Moon trailer playing in front of Bandslam – twice, so you bet! LOL! Did you see the screen caption pic I found for The Faces of Rob corner? *big sigh*

And, yes, I am getting very nervous about Breaking Dawn. They should already have a director lined up by now, shouldn't they? I really don't get the whole talk about it being split into two movies, though. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd watch two movies, but there's a lot in that book that could be collapsed, especially the back stories for all of the vampires they round up to witness on behalf of you-know-who. I've been to movies over the years that were three + hours long, which is what I think they should do with Breaking Dawn. What I really don't understand is why they don't call and ask my opinion :)

I have caved and am going to see New Moon again tomorrow with my husband's niece. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!

Zanymouse said...

@Sprtzmom - LOL, I love your Rob corner. He is unforgettable!

Anonymous said...

Awesome review. Just saw the movie myslef. I wanted you to know I was in theater 17!!!!!! I thought of you when I read my ticket. <3

17foreverlisa said...

@Z Any Mouse - That's really how my blog got started - sending a picture of Rob every day for my fellow Robsessed co-workers as a countdown to New Moon. I am working on putting all of my Faces of Rob pics into a Photobucket album so that when you click on the Faces of Rob link on the navbar, you can view and/or save them out if you want.

@Mrs. P. - I love it that you thought of me! I totally would have had to have a picture of the ticket for the post if it had been me. And, geez, how big is your cineplex if you were in theater 17?! Heading over to your blog to see if you've posted your review yet.

Snarkier Than You said...

YAY!!! love that you had such a great time and Mini-E did, too!! And of course I love love LOVE seeing you sporting your Twitarded button - thanks so much for taking us along! Wish we could have all been together - lol! maybe we'll work in it for Eclipse! (that widget is fantastic btw!)


: )

17foreverlisa said...

@STY - Thanks for stopping by. Hope you got to see the post right after this one with Pocket Edward and the Team Twitarded button :)

And you know I'm on board for Twitarded Con 2010/Eclipse!

Lily Bean Designs said...

I loved the movie, and wish we were going again! Too expensive though. I will have to wait for the DVD release. =)

Check out my new post.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=35004397

17foreverlisa said...

@Lily Bean Designs - Yay! You got to the movie and loved it. I know it was a belated birthday celebration for you, but I'm sure it was worth the wait.

Just checked out your post. That's an awesome idea, and you look great as a vamp, I might add ;) I will definitely include that link in the post I'm working on.

Mama Cougar said...

OK...can I just say that we Illinois bitches ROCK THIS SHIT HARD. We love our Edward Masen/Cullen, who....of course, is a native Chicagoan and makes us proud!

I have seen it three times, and being luckily married to a Unicorn (the new moniker for Twi-guys for their rare, mystical beauty) - the hubs has our movie-going schedule all mapped out for the next week.

I plan to blog later today about some of my favorite lines from the movie. I think what makes me the proudest is that Melissa Rosenberg managed to get SO MANY actual book quotes into the screenplay without making them sound cheesy or ingeniune. I almost DIED when Bella says to Edward, "It never made sense for you to love me." DIED. DEAD. Like...even CPR would not help me.

Anyhow, I'm rambling from lack of sleep and New Moon induced euphoria.

We need to be besties. Come and find me! I live admist the corn and bean fields north of Champaign.

Mama Cougar
The Cougar's Den

17foreverlisa said...

@Mama Cougar - LOL! Illinois bitches unite. I would LOVE to be besties with you and definitely know my way around the corn and bean fields; lots of parking and drinking Boone's Farm back in the day ;) But I digress . . .

I just got back from my 4th viewing of New Moon with my husband's niece, who is in 7th grade. It was her 2nd time. I think the theater was full of repeat viewers because there wasn't any SQUEEING going on and the girls right behind us were reciting most of the lines. I embarrassed my niece by being the only one clapping for Edward at key parts in the movie. Guess that makes me Robward's #1 fan. Just sayin'.

Speaking of reciting lines, I can't wait to read your post about your favorite lines in the movie that came from the book. The muffin scene was full of them, wasn't it? But, yes, Bella reciting that line to Edward was a classic moment in the movie. Having watched so many of your videos, I can just picture your reaction to it :)

My goal is to see New Moon 11 times, because my previous record is 10 with (so outing myself here) George of the Jungle. Maybe your Unicorn can pencil me in on the movie-going schedule and I can celebrate #11 in the land of the Fighting Illini. Hmmmm . . .

rpattzgirl survived Rob! said...

Lisa,

Love it girl!! Pocket Edward>> Why didn't I think of that!!

great review, photos and what a wonderful experience!

Sample text

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Ads 468x60px